In a driving rainstorm at Hawthorne Oct. 13, Two Months Rent emerged from the pack at mid-stretch to chase down Film Shot in the final yards for a neck victory at 20-1 odds in the $200,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT).
Phillips Racing Partnership's homebred La Cloche, a half sister to Winter Memories, came flying with a tremendous late kick to win the $150,000 Athenia Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park Oct. 13.
Winter Memories, who has been off since finishing second in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (gr. IIT), made a smashing season debut April 21, running down Dos Lunas late to win the Appalachian Stakes (gr. IIIT).
Winter Memories will make her much anticipated 2011 debut when she faces 11 rivals in the $100,000 Appalachian Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies going a mile on the turf April 20 at Keeneland.
Fortune Writers, who arrived Monday from New York for the $600,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) Sunday, worked four furlongs on the turf course Wednesday in :49 2/5 under Craig Marshall, assistant to trainer Jim Toner.
Saratoga Notebook: Howard Watch; Stakes Trifecta Rule Changes; Lady Tak's Breather; Sights Lowered for Wonder Again; Pletcher On Fire
Mineshaft's trainer Neil Howard will be paying close attention Saturday when the Whitney Handicap (gr.I) is run at Saratoga Race Course.
Uncharacteristically, trainer Kenny McPeek was a man of few words Wednesday as he talked about Ohio Derby (gr.II) Wild and Wicked's work over the Oklahoma training track.
Medaglia d'Oro breezes...No BC for Funny Cide...Balto Star slated to start at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt
- Court Gives FL Breeders Right to Challenge Awards Plan