Kettle Corn came from off the pace to win the $200,000 San Diego Handicap (gr. III), spoiling the return of Paynter to graded stakes competition July 27 at Del Mar.
Rockamundo, who won the 1993 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at 108-1 for owners Gary and Mary West, died Jan. 18 at age 23 because of complications from colic.
Kettle Corn, glued to the rail by jockey Garrett Gomez, slipped by favored Tres Borrachos in deep stretch and held on tenaciously for a half-length victory in the $100,000 Native Diver Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
After Misty Ocean scored a 5 1/2-length win in a minor stakes at Golden Gate Fields last month, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer had a much more ambitious spot in mind for his newly converted turf runner. His hunch proved correct when the 3-year-old daughter of Stormy Atlantic went gate to wire to win the $173,250 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park June 7.
Frankfort Park Land, a partnership headed by Irish bloodstock agent Brendan Gallagher, has purchased Old Frankfort Stud near Lexington, home of 1992 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Lil E. Tee. Jim Plemmons, who founded the Lexington farm in 1993, is relocating to neighboring Woodford County. The 220-acre farm sold for $3.65 million, according to public records.
Zadracarta, a multiple Canadian stakes winner who came within a head of being a French group I winner, died April 2.
Mula Gula will move from Washington State to Kentucky for the 2003 breeding season.
Millionaire Frisk Me Now's first foal is a filly born at Jim Plemmons' Old Frankfort Stud near Lexington on Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta