Just Jack, a consistent 3-year-old homebred for Dr. Michael Harrison, will face the stiffest test of his young career Saturday when he takes on older rivals in the $150,000 Million Classic at a mile and a furlong.
Last fall, Admirals War Chest had lost five consecutive races before turning an out-of-town Maryland Million prep victory into his front-running score in the day’s richest race.
Cricket Goodall has seen Maryland Million grow and flourish to become the second-biggest day on the state's racing calendar behind only the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), and even serve as the inspiration for copycat events throughout North America.
Four defending champions and six other past winners are among the 185 nominees to nine stakes on the 31st annual Jim McKay Maryland Million Day program Oct. 22 at Laurel Park.
Jack's in the Deck and jockey Forest Boyce won a stretch duel with 3-5 favorite Ben's Cat for a game nose victory in the $100,000 Maryland Million Sprint at Laurel Park Oct. 17.
The Jim McKay Maryland Million has attracted 188 pre-entries to the nine stakes races on the Oct. 18 card at Laurel Park.
The Maryland Jockey Club will try a new approach to the stakes schedule at Laurel Park, which will open Sept. 19 for a 59-day fall meet.
Not Abroad and his jockey, Nick Petro, took advantage of an opening along the rail and won the $142,500 Maryland Million Classic Stakes Oct. 6 at Laurel Park.
Sweet Goodbye will attempt to become the latest female to bowl over the boys when she takes her six-for-eight lifetime record into the $200,000 Jim McKay Maryland Million Classic at Laurel Park Sept. 26.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- McCraken Stretches Out in Keeneland Work
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Animo de Valeroso to Stand at Duncan Farms
- Honorable Duty Aims to Continue Fair Grounds Roll
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks