Retired trainer Jerry Dutton, a mainstay among California horsemen for decades, died July 30 at the age 87, the Del Mar publicity department announced.
Northern California jockey Roberto Gonzalez earned his 4,000th victory Monday when he drove 31-1 shot Peak a Bootrando to victory in the seventh race at Golden Gate Fields.
Naify and Woodside Farms' Blackdoun, a French-bred colt making his American debut, set a stakes record of 1:33 2/5 for the mile on the Del Mar grass Wednesday for an impressive triumph in the featured second division of the Oceanside Stakes on opening day of Del Mar's summer racing season.
- By Jack Shinar
Trainer Jeff Mullins and owner Richard Englander say they are surprised by a California Horse Racing Board review into a victory by their filly Flyindownbaylaurel at Hollywood Park on May 21 and said the action is the result of Mullin's success on the Southern California circuit.
Thursday morning found Elaine's Angel, a top California contender in the $350,000 Franks Farms (Filly & Mare) Turf, safely bedded down in Barn 11 on the Gulfstream Park backstretch.
Headed by recent allowance winner Martinblestme, a field of 10 is lining up for Monday's $100,000 I'm Smokin Stakes at 6 furlongs on the main track for Cal-bred 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes