The Pamplemousse, one of the early favorites for the 2009 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), has been retired from racing and will stand in 2011 at Tom and Nancy Clark's Rancho San Miguel near San Miguel, Calif.
Trainer Julio Canani insists he doesn't have Derby fever yet. But after the way his The Pamplemousse glided to victory as the 1-2 choice in the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Feb. 28, that's going to be more difficult to believe as time marches on toward the first Saturday in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Tourist, Celestine Work at Keeneland
- Champion Tepin Works at Churchill Downs
- War Front's Mosler to Country Life Farm
- Nobiz Like Shobiz Settling in at Old Friends