The second-wettest April on record in Lexington gave Keeneland's new dirt track a stiff test.
- By Ron Mitchell
Keeneland track superintendent Javier Barajas talks about the turf and main track status for Friday, April 10. Watch Video
Keeneland will begin its fall meet Oct. 3 with return to dirt racing. read blog
Javier Barajas, a veteran trackman with international experience managing dirt, turf and synthetic surfaces, has been named track superintendent for Keeneland, officials at the Lexington oval announced Aug. 5.
An unusually large number of stall applications has led Canterbury Park to open its barn area seven days earlier than planned.
Canterbury Park has hired Javier Barajas as track superintendent for the 2013 racing season. Barajas has held similar positions at Arlington Park, Golden Gate Fields, Fair Grounds, and Retama Park.
Pam and Martin Wygod's After Market, the 2-1 morning line favorite for Saturday's Arlington Million XXV (gr. IT), was unexpectedly withdrawn the morning of the race due to the yielding condition of the turf course.
- By Jeff Johnson
A year after an unprecedented string of catastrophic breakdowns left horsemen wondering what was wrong with the dirt track at Arlington Park, they were singing the praises of a new synthetic racing surface.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate