The second-wettest April on record in Lexington gave Keeneland's new dirt track a stiff test.
- By Ron Mitchell
Keeneland track superintendent Javier Barajas talks about the turf and main track status for Friday, April 10. Watch Video
Keeneland will begin its fall meet Oct. 3 with return to dirt racing. read blog
Javier Barajas, a veteran trackman with international experience managing dirt, turf and synthetic surfaces, has been named track superintendent for Keeneland, officials at the Lexington oval announced Aug. 5.
An unusually large number of stall applications has led Canterbury Park to open its barn area seven days earlier than planned.
Canterbury Park has hired Javier Barajas as track superintendent for the 2013 racing season. Barajas has held similar positions at Arlington Park, Golden Gate Fields, Fair Grounds, and Retama Park.
Pam and Martin Wygod's After Market, the 2-1 morning line favorite for Saturday's Arlington Million XXV (gr. IT), was unexpectedly withdrawn the morning of the race due to the yielding condition of the turf course.
- By Jeff Johnson
A year after an unprecedented string of catastrophic breakdowns left horsemen wondering what was wrong with the dirt track at Arlington Park, they were singing the praises of a new synthetic racing surface.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Thewayyouare Relocated to Haras de Corlay
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight