Over the next several months, the Los Angeles County Fair plans to phase out its racing-related activities at Fairplex Park, chief executive officer James Henwood told the California Horse Racing Board April 25.
Kim Lloyd has been promoted to general manager of Barretts Equine Sales and Fairplex Park racing.
Some could be converted for office or manufacturing use, but Barretts would continue to conduct Thoroughbred sales in the near future.
- By Jack Shinar
The Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita will get an additional day of racing Sept. 28, allowing it to run four Breeders' Cup prep races under a plan endorsed Friday by the California Horse Racing Board.
The California Horse Racing Board approved a 2003 racing calendar Thursday that is largely unchanged from 2002, including a 17-day fair meet at Fairplex Park in Pomona.
In a move that removes a potential restriction on the future relocation of the Los Angeles County Fair's racing dates, the fair association announced it has purchased controlling interest of Barretts Equine Ltd., which conducts the top 2-year-olds in-training auction in the state each March.
Bowing to pressure from a torrent of racing industry insiders, the California Horse Racing Board turned thumbs down June 26 on the Los Angeles County Fair's plan to move its 17-day 2002 meet to Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park