Over the next several months, the Los Angeles County Fair plans to phase out its racing-related activities at Fairplex Park, chief executive officer James Henwood told the California Horse Racing Board April 25.
Kim Lloyd has been promoted to general manager of Barretts Equine Sales and Fairplex Park racing.
Some could be converted for office or manufacturing use, but Barretts would continue to conduct Thoroughbred sales in the near future.
The Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita will get an additional day of racing Sept. 28, allowing it to run four Breeders' Cup prep races under a plan endorsed Friday by the California Horse Racing Board.
The California Horse Racing Board approved a 2003 racing calendar Thursday that is largely unchanged from 2002, including a 17-day fair meet at Fairplex Park in Pomona.
In a move that removes a potential restriction on the future relocation of the Los Angeles County Fair's racing dates, the fair association announced it has purchased controlling interest of Barretts Equine Ltd., which conducts the top 2-year-olds in-training auction in the state each March.
Bowing to pressure from a torrent of racing industry insiders, the California Horse Racing Board turned thumbs down June 26 on the Los Angeles County Fair's plan to move its 17-day 2002 meet to Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- BC Tickets Still Available After Day One Sale