Suzanne Pashayan's Brown Bess, the 1989 champion grass mare, was euthanized July 15 because of complications from colic.
Jockey Kyle Kaenel has retired due to extensive injuries the 21-year-old Oceanside, N.Y., native suffered in a riding spill at Fairplex Park in Southern California Sept. 27.
Jockey Kyle Kaenel, the son of "Cowboy" Jack Kaenel who won the 1982 Preakness (gr. I) with Aloma's Ruler, will move his tack to Northern California's Golden Gate Fields after Friday's 10-race card at Laurel Park.
Sixteen-year-old apprentice jockey Kyle Kaenel completed the abbreviated race week at Turf Paradise March 29 with 13 victories in four days, including back-to-back four-baggers.
The first match race at Los Alamitos in more than 10 years lived up to the hype, as mules Black Ruby and Taz put on another competitive and charismatic show before the world famous Black Ruby defeated her archrival once again.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Long On Value Too Tough in Lucky Coin Stakes