Suzanne Pashayan's Brown Bess, the 1989 champion grass mare, was euthanized July 15 because of complications from colic.
Jockey Kyle Kaenel has retired due to extensive injuries the 21-year-old Oceanside, N.Y., native suffered in a riding spill at Fairplex Park in Southern California Sept. 27.
Jockey Kyle Kaenel, the son of "Cowboy" Jack Kaenel who won the 1982 Preakness (gr. I) with Aloma's Ruler, will move his tack to Northern California's Golden Gate Fields after Friday's 10-race card at Laurel Park.
Sixteen-year-old apprentice jockey Kyle Kaenel completed the abbreviated race week at Turf Paradise March 29 with 13 victories in four days, including back-to-back four-baggers.
The first match race at Los Alamitos in more than 10 years lived up to the hype, as mules Black Ruby and Taz put on another competitive and charismatic show before the world famous Black Ruby defeated her archrival once again.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack