Belmont Stakes contender General a Rod galloped over the main track at 5:45 the morning of June 6, his first time over the Belmont Park course since arriving from trainer Mike Maker's Louisville base the previous evening.
In preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), grade I-placed General a Rod completed a leisurely five-furlong breeze in 1:03 2/5 on April 23 at Churchill Downs.
General a Rod defeated Hutcheson Stakes (gr. III) winner Wildcat Red by a head in the Gulfstream Park Derby, as they meet again in the Fountain of Youth Stakes.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Pensioned Top Maryland Sire Not For Love Dies
- Stay Thirsty's First Winner Comes in England
- Ride On Curlin to Florida's Pleasant Acres
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Santa Anita Pick 6 Pays Over $1.47 Million
- Second Saratoga Group Sounds Off on NYRA Plan
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Purses Enhanced for 2016 Ellis Park Meet