Belmont Stakes contender General a Rod galloped over the main track at 5:45 the morning of June 6, his first time over the Belmont Park course since arriving from trainer Mike Maker's Louisville base the previous evening.
In preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), grade I-placed General a Rod completed a leisurely five-furlong breeze in 1:03 2/5 on April 23 at Churchill Downs.
General a Rod defeated Hutcheson Stakes (gr. III) winner Wildcat Red by a head in the Gulfstream Park Derby, as they meet again in the Fountain of Youth Stakes.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner