Belmont Stakes contender General a Rod galloped over the main track at 5:45 the morning of June 6, his first time over the Belmont Park course since arriving from trainer Mike Maker's Louisville base the previous evening.
In preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), grade I-placed General a Rod completed a leisurely five-furlong breeze in 1:03 2/5 on April 23 at Churchill Downs.
General a Rod defeated Hutcheson Stakes (gr. III) winner Wildcat Red by a head in the Gulfstream Park Derby, as they meet again in the Fountain of Youth Stakes.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Magee Clinches Training Title at Pimlico
- BHA Working on Strategies After 'Brexit' Vote
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Weather Impacts Churchill June 23 Program
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses