Belmont Stakes contender General a Rod galloped over the main track at 5:45 the morning of June 6, his first time over the Belmont Park course since arriving from trainer Mike Maker's Louisville base the previous evening.
In preparations for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), grade I-placed General a Rod completed a leisurely five-furlong breeze in 1:03 2/5 on April 23 at Churchill Downs.
General a Rod defeated Hutcheson Stakes (gr. III) winner Wildcat Red by a head in the Gulfstream Park Derby, as they meet again in the Fountain of Youth Stakes.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees