The field for this weekend's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) is similar to the recently concluded Florida Derby (gr. I) in one important way: Both major Kentucky Derby preps drew full fields of promising but unproven 3-year-olds.
The $750,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds on Saturday, March 27, has drawn a field of 13, headed by Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) winner Discreetly Mine.
Jim Tafel's 3-year-old Fast Alex may have put himself in the picture for the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) with a solid victory in an allowance race at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots March 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Gonzalez Posts Career Victory 3,000
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- U.S. Pari-Mutuel Handle Down Slightly in June
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win