The field for this weekend's Louisiana Derby (gr. II) is similar to the recently concluded Florida Derby (gr. I) in one important way: Both major Kentucky Derby preps drew full fields of promising but unproven 3-year-olds.
The $750,000 Louisiana Derby (gr. II) at Fair Grounds on Saturday, March 27, has drawn a field of 13, headed by Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) winner Discreetly Mine.
Jim Tafel's 3-year-old Fast Alex may have put himself in the picture for the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) with a solid victory in an allowance race at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots March 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Freshman Flashpoint Gets His First Winner
- Maker a Triple Threat in AP Classic