Longtime California-based trainer Richard Matlow succumbed to the effects of Amytrophic Lateral Schlerosis (ALS) late on the night of March 30 at his home in Monrovia at the age of 66.
Jack o' Lantern, the longest shot in the field at 19-1, enjoyed a dream run along the inside for jockey Isaias Enriquez to post a half-length upset over favored Azul Leon in the Hollywood Prevue (gr. III) at Hollywood Park Nov. 23.
Whatsthescript, an Irish import making his first start for Santa Anita's leading trainer Doug O'Neill, was a dominant winner of Friday's $81,400 Pasadena Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf.
Whatsthescript and Warning Zone, one-two finishers in the Pinjara a month ago at Santa Anita, validated that effort while rallying to win $75,000 divisions of the Generous Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 2-year-olds impressively on the Hollywood Park turf Friday.
With an explosive burst of speed, the maiden Quick Little Miss went from last on the final turn to score a 4 1/2-length victory at odds of 29-1 in the $118,100 Barretts Debutante for 2-year-old fillies at Fairplex Park Saturday.
Jockey Corey Nakatani took at least one punch in a jockeys' room fracas after the first race Friday at Del Mar, then came back to register a knockout of his own with three victories in his final four rides.
She's Gottogetaway, ridden by Isaias Enriquez at 28-1, caught a weary 2-5 favorite Dirty Diana close to home to register a neck victory in the Wednesday's $100,000 Generous Portion Stakes for 2-year-old California-bred fillies at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- First Starters for Stay Thirsty, Shackleford
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Creator Turns in Final Kentucky Derby Breeze
- Jockey DeShawn Parker Gets 5,000th Victory