Ioya Bigtime, staked to a loping lead by Jeffrey Sanchez, refused to buckle under relentless pressure from favored Rahystrada to win the $200,000 Kentucky Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) on the grass course at Kentucky Downs Sept. 15.
Team Block's Mystery Giver unleashed a tremendous rally through the stretch to win the $150,000 Fair Grounds Breeders' Cup Handicap for the second consecutive year Saturday at Fair Grounds.
Team Block's Ioya Two, who thrilled Thoroughbred racing fans twice last summer at Arlington Park with courageous victories, has been retired and will leave this week for her upcoming career as a broodmare.
England's Legend, wire-to-wire victress in the Beverly D. (gr. IT) here last August, makes her first start of the year as the highweight and likely favorite in Saturday's $150,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Arlington Park hosted the Prairie State Festival on June 22--five races restricted to horses bred in Illinois.
About $450,000 will be on the line June 20 in six Illinois-registered stakes that make up the third Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park. The afternoon is designed to showcase Illinois racing and the history of the state.
Claiborne Farm's homebred Watch rallied from mid-pack to win the $169,350 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs Saturday.
The first two stakes races on Million Preview Day at Arlington Park ran true to form Saturday, with 17-10 favorites Make No Mistake and Discreet Hero winning their grade III preps. In the day's final stakes race, 7-1 Illinois-bred Ioya Two held off Megans Bluff and favorite Solvig to win the $150,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a nose.
Most Popular Stories
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- FPD Begins Distribution of Liberty Cu Nails
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Industry Teams to Help Parkinson's Research
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner