The National Thoroughbred Racing Association will host a legislative briefing open to industry stakeholders and other interested parties at 2 p.m. PDT, Aug. 21 in the Del Mar Turf Club Director's Room.
The House Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade of the House Energy and Commerce Committee will hold a hearing Dec. 10 at 12:30 p.m. on "The State of Online Gaming.
The Delaware Lottery has issued a request for proposal for its planned Internet gaming system, and the racing industry is negotiating a revenue split with the state and racetrack casinos.
As California eyes potential revenue from Internet gaming, horse racing executives made it clear to a state senate committee in Sacramento July 12 they want to be part of any legislation that may result.
Internet gaming is here to stay and, instead of trying to prohibit it, state governments should start regulating this exponentially growing business, a panel of experts told state lawmakers.
- By Tom Precious
The New York Racing Association will become the first racing entity in New York to offer internet wagering. State regulators April 26 approved a NYRA application to permit the potentially lucrative form of gambling, beginning as soon as NYRA can start the venture.
President Bush signed a bill Oct. 13 to tighten port security and ban Internet gambling - with the exception of wagers placed on horse racing.
Issues related to the loss of tax dollars from Internet wagering will come into focus when state legislators from across the country meet in Las Vegas to focus on public policy questions related to Internet, casino, and other forms of gaming. The occasion will be the 2004 Winter Meeting of the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States (NCLGS) at Harrah's Las Vegas on the January 9-11 weekend.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment