The 2014 Illinois live racing schedule likely will be trimmed back significantly as a result of revenue shortfalls, the Illinois Racing Board indicated Sept. 11.
The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation has announced an agreement with the State of Illinois to open its ninth correctional facility-based farm., the Second Chances Ranch at the Vandalia Correctional Facility in Vandalia.
Fairmount Park and the Illinois Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association have agreed upon an increased purse structure for 2012 thanks to the racetrack's share of casino impact funding it received last year.
To make its position clear on horse slaughter, Fairmount Park in Illinois has put in place a zero-tolerance policy that would take stalls away from trainers involved in the practice. And in an effort to address the unwanted horse situation, the track has created an adoption program for Fairmount runners when they retire from racing.
Jockeys at Fairmount Park received a mount-fee increase through the Illinois Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association, which represents horsemen at the track.
As horseracing interests lobby for slot machines in Illinois, two former state legislators have floated a $31-billion infrastructure plan that would be paid in part by expanded gambling in the state.
Fairmount Park in downstate Illinois marches on in hope of getting alternative gaming, while on the racing side, Shamrock Meadows Stables continues its roll.
The annual Fairmont Park paddock auction of ex-racehorses is planned for Saturday. More than 90 horses will be offered without reserve, however the seller has the option of calling no sale if they feel the price is low.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- Haskin: Bronwen Healy's American Adventure
- Injured Jockey Luzzi Cleared to Resume Riding
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- World Approval, Night Prowler Seeking 'Fame'
- Lea Tunes Up for Whitney in Workout
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Flashy American, Willow Hills in Groupie Doll