Last season, IEAH Stables and partners' Benny the Bull capped a five-race win streak in the Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. II), a victory that solidified his Eclipse Award as the nation's top sprinter. Now, months after being brought back from retirement the 6-year-old horse will try to win the event for the second year in a row, as he takes on five rivals July 11 at Calder Race Course.
Prominent names are expected for the June 20 Charles Town Races & Slots Sprint Festival, which will feature five stakes worth a total of $750,000.
How's Your Halo, off at odds of 47-1, caught Ikigai in the final strides to earn his first graded stakes win in the $150,000 Richter Scale (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park Feb. 14.
Tale of Ekati, off since winning the Hill 'N' Dale Cigar Mile (gr. I) by disqualification last November, will make his return to the racetrack in the $150,000 Richter Scale Sprint (gr. II) Feb. 14 at Gulfstream.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Whywhywhy is now back with a bang, with Nownownow capturing the San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) and another son, Ikigai, capturing the Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III).
Edmund Gann's Ikigai scored for the fifth time in eight starts and captured his first graded stakes, as he drew away for an easy 2 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park.
The $100,000 Mr. Prospector Handicap (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park came up particularly strong with Summerplace Farm's 8-year-old gelding Kelly's Landing coming out for another season and Wind River Stable's 5-year-old Black Seventeen shipping in from California for the six-furlong dash on Jan. 17.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident