When compared with all the other stallions that retired in 2011, Kantharos came out on top on our weighted average projections.
Last season, IEAH Stables and partners' Benny the Bull capped a five-race win streak in the Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. II), a victory that solidified his Eclipse Award as the nation's top sprinter. Now, months after being brought back from retirement the 6-year-old horse will try to win the event for the second year in a row, as he takes on five rivals July 11 at Calder Race Course.
Prominent names are expected for the June 20 Charles Town Races & Slots Sprint Festival, which will feature five stakes worth a total of $750,000.
How's Your Halo, off at odds of 47-1, caught Ikigai in the final strides to earn his first graded stakes win in the $150,000 Richter Scale (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park Feb. 14.
Tale of Ekati, off since winning the Hill 'N' Dale Cigar Mile (gr. I) by disqualification last November, will make his return to the racetrack in the $150,000 Richter Scale Sprint (gr. II) Feb. 14 at Gulfstream.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Whywhywhy is now back with a bang, with Nownownow capturing the San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) and another son, Ikigai, capturing the Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III).
Edmund Gann's Ikigai scored for the fifth time in eight starts and captured his first graded stakes, as he drew away for an easy 2 1/4-length victory in the $100,000 Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 17 at Gulfstream Park.
The $100,000 Mr. Prospector Handicap (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park came up particularly strong with Summerplace Farm's 8-year-old gelding Kelly's Landing coming out for another season and Wind River Stable's 5-year-old Black Seventeen shipping in from California for the six-furlong dash on Jan. 17.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial