With jockey Calvin Borel up, Hurricane Ike tuned up for his engagement in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) by working six furlongs at Churchill Downs in 1:12 2/5 after the renovation break Oct. 23.
Last on the turn for home, Tell a Kelly swept to an eye-catching victory in the $250,000 Darley Debutante (gr. I) at Del Mar Sept. 4 in her first try against winners.
Hurricane Ike, winner of The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III), will not start in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) this weekend, trainer John Sadler said May 12.
Notching his fifth win on opening day at soggy Churchill Downs, Calvin Borel unleashed a patented rail-skimming ride aboard Hurricane Ike and guided the colt to victory in the The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III) April 24.
Line of David, the surprise winner of the April 10 Arkansas Derby (gr. I), was officially clocked in 1:02 for his five-furlong workout the morning of April 20 at Churchill Downs.
Red-hot trainer John Sadler captured the $1 million Arkansas Derby (gr. I) with front-running upsetter Line of David at Oaklawn Park April 10, just a week after Sadler took the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) with Sidney's Candy.
Jockey Joel Rosario, who claimed his first-ever riding title during the 2009 spring/summer meet at Hollywood Park, came right back to easily capture the division championship at the just-concluded Del Mar stand.
With no stakes winner in the field, even-money choice Dawn After Dawn had an easy time of it in winning the $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) on the front end at Santa Anita Feb. 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity