One new steward and eight new members were appointed to The Jockey Club of Canada during the annual meeting of the members in June at Woodbine,
Quaesitor earned the first stakes victory of his career amidst a frosty conclusion to the 2013 season at Woodbine, closing from last to capture the marathon Valedictory Stakes (Can-III) from favorite Eagle Poise.
Although breaking her maiden last time out after moving up in a disqualification, technically, She's the Umpire has never finished first in five career starts. Normally sending a 2-year-old filly out in graded stakes competition would be a lot to ask under those circumstances. However, that did not stop trainer Ian Howard from taking a shot in the $175,000 Mazarine Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) at Woodbine Sept. 29, a 1 1/16-mile event for juvenile fillies.
J.F. "Jake" Howard, retired chairman of the Woodbine Entertainment Group, died June 3 following a lengthy battle with cancer.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid