Hoofit, a New Zealand-bred horse who won a grade III stakes at Keeneland Race Course in 2011, died Oct. 14 as a result of a leg infection, according to trainer Graham Motion.
An overflow field of 14, highlighted by undefeated Keeneland contender Winning Cause, plus previous Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix (gr. III) victors Sum of the Parts and Hoofit, are entered in this year's edition of the race.
Favored Hogy captured the $250,000 Presque Isle Mile Sept. 8 with a late burst, winning for the third time in his past four starts.
Alpha Bettor and Hogy top an oversubscribed edition of the $250,000 Presque Isle Mile Sept. 8 at Presque Isle Downs, both sharing highweight assignments of 124 pounds.
Hollinger will find an opportune spot in the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Calder Race Course & Casino, in spite of hauling high weight on the Florida oval's closing day.
Beyond the Blinkers goes behind the scenes at the Breeders' Cup. read blog
Hoofit, a New Zealand-bred world traveler, enters the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (gr. IIT) off a victory in the Oct. 7 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix Stakes (gr. III).
Several horses posted their final workouts the weekend of Oct. 28-30 in preparation for the Nov. 5 Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (gr. II).
New Zealand-bred Hoofit held off Aikenite by a desperate nose to score an 11-1 upset in the $175,000 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix (gr. III) Oct. 7 on opening day at Keeneland.
Peachtree Stable's Flashpoint will hope the inside post is kinder to him this time around when he faces six competitors in the $175,000 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix Stakes (gr. III) Oct. 7, opening day of the Keeneland meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Rampart Winner Gamay Noir Heads Sixty Sails
- Australia's Rules Banning AI Upheld by Court
- Finding a Home, Filling a Need
- Trommer Scores One for the Home Team
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations