Stewards of the Hong Kong Jockey Club have scheduled an inquiry for Friday into quotes attributed to jockey Greg Childs following his winning ride aboard the New Zealand mare Sunline in the Hong Kong Mile. The inquiry centers around a Sydney Morning Herald article with quotes attributed to Childs concerning a pre-race discussion he had with Justin Sheehan, rider of eventual Mile third-place finisher Adam.
California-based trainer Ben Cecil has been fined HK$50,000 (about US$6,410) by Hong Kong Jockey Club stewards as a result of Falcon Flight testing positive for a prohibited substance prior to Sunday's Hong Kong International Cup. HKJC stewards will also reportedly review the circumstances surrounding the impressive victory by Sunline in the Hong Kong Mile. Greg Childs, who rode Sunline, said that he and another jockey discussed strategy prior to the race.
Trade was strong on the opening day of the Tattersalls December, which featured the last yearlings to be sold at auction this year. The session saw a total of 2,120,300 guineas spent at an average of 14,724 guineas, an increase of 7%. The drop in the gross value can be attributed to Tattersalls new policy encouraging Vendors to declare their buy-backs.
The Hong Kong Jockey Club reported that apprentice jockey Philip C. T. Cheng died Tuesday as a result of injuries he sustained in a fall Saturday in the fourth race at Sha Tin Racecourse.
Racing and breeding news and information.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA