Cigar Street returned to his winning ways when he easily held off favored Departing to take the $135,500 Homecoming Classic at Churchill Downs by 1 3/4 lengths.
Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's Departing and Michael Langford's Carve, both based at Churchill Downs, are among six entered in the $125,000 Homecoming Classic at 1 1/8 miles Sept. 27 at the Kentucky racetrack.
The second September meet in the 140-year history of Churchill Downs will offer eight stakes races with total purses of $925,000 during a 12-day run.
For trainer Brendan Walsh, preparing his first Breeders' Cup starter in two years of training is a brand new world that could lead to the first graded stakes victory of his career coming on the sport's biggest stage.
Owner/breeder Janis Whitham's Fort Larned, winner of the 2012 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), prepped for another shot at the race with a wire-to-wire score in the inaugural $191,275 Homecoming Classic at Churchill Sept. 28.
Janis R. Whitham's Fort Larned breezed five furlongs in 1:02 2/5 at Churchill Downs Sept. 23 in preparation for the inaugural Homecoming Classic at Churchill Downs.
The inaugural Homecoming Classic on Sept. 28 at Churchill Downs still has reigning Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) and Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) winner Fort Larned at the top, but Successful Dan will bypass the race.
Trainer Ian Wilkes said Sept. 17 that Fort Larned, winner of last year's Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), will have his final prep for this year's Classic in the newly established Homecoming Classic at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Churchill Releases First Quarter Earnings
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- NJ Casino Simulcast Bill Signed Into Law
- Lenny's Place: Kentucky Derby Edition
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound