Zia Park will kick off its inaugural 44-day season Friday with an 11-race card of Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred racing, with the opening day program highlighted by the $50,000 Premier Stakes for Thoroughbreds at six furlongs.
The New Mexico Racing Commission on Wednesday picked Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partners to build and operate a new horse race track and casino at Hobbs that will be called Zia Park.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Noble Bird May Start in Pegasus
- New York trainer/breeder DiSanto Dies at 62
- California Chrome Focused in Penultimate Move
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Lockdown Cruises in Busanda Win
- High Profile Fillies in Fair Grounds Stakes
- Pletcher Contenders Breeze for Pegasus
- First Foal for Silver Max a Filly