Zia Park will kick off its inaugural 44-day season Friday with an 11-race card of Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred racing, with the opening day program highlighted by the $50,000 Premier Stakes for Thoroughbreds at six furlongs.
The New Mexico Racing Commission on Wednesday picked Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partners to build and operate a new horse race track and casino at Hobbs that will be called Zia Park.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Shuvee Class Drop for Grade I Winner Curalina
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Bradester Towers Over Monmouth Cup Field
- Litfin at Large: Jim Dandy Saturday
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again