Zia Park will kick off its inaugural 44-day season Friday with an 11-race card of Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred racing, with the opening day program highlighted by the $50,000 Premier Stakes for Thoroughbreds at six furlongs.
The New Mexico Racing Commission on Wednesday picked Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partners to build and operate a new horse race track and casino at Hobbs that will be called Zia Park.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Private Zone All the Way in Belmont Sprint
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- No Positives in June 2015 Economic Indicators
- Speightster Still Undefeated With Dwyer Win
- Coffee Clique Proves Best in James Penny