Zia Park will kick off its inaugural 44-day season Friday with an 11-race card of Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred racing, with the opening day program highlighted by the $50,000 Premier Stakes for Thoroughbreds at six furlongs.
The New Mexico Racing Commission on Wednesday picked Ruidoso Downs owner R.D. Hubbard and his partners to build and operate a new horse race track and casino at Hobbs that will be called Zia Park.
The New Mexico Racing Commission will take no action on licensing a racetrack in Hobbs until early next year. The delay comes after Gov. Gary Johnson removed three members of the five-member commission in November.
Most Popular Stories
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Carpe Diem Works for Jet-Setting Pletcher
- International Star Heads Derby Works at CD
- Firing Line Drills in Company at Santa Anita
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- KY Derby: Pletcher on April 18 Derby Works
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby
- Churchill to Stream Derby, Oaks Workouts Live
- Mott Fights Denial of Assistant's Visa
- Former KY Governor Seeking Third Oaks Win