Team Block's Fort Prado grabbed all the headlines at this year's Prairie State Festival when the 6-year-old gelding became the first horse to be a four-time Festival winner by capturing the $84,150 Black Tie Affair Handicap for the third straight year.
Hawthorne's leading rider Chris Emigh has been named to pilot the morning-line favorite in all six $100,000 Illinois stakes for Saturday's Phil Georgeff Festival of Racing card Saturday.
Jockey Larry Sterling Jr. scored a double in the seventh annual Prairie State Festival, Arlington Park's six-race showcase for Illinois-bred Thoroughbreds. Both of the the veteran local rider's victories came on horses he was not originally slated to ride.
Original Spin, winner of the Arlington Washington Lassie (gr. III) and third-place finisher in the Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) as a 2-year-old, edged Fort Prado for Illinois-bred Horse of the Year honors in 2005.
Devilment rallied with a wide move on the second turn and took command at the top of the stretch to easily win the $100,000 Round Table Stakes for 3-year-olds by two lengths Saturday at Arlington Park.
Nancy A. Vanier and Cartwright Thoroughbred's Straight Line returns home to Arlington Park and looks to rebound off a disappointing fifth-place run in the grade II Ohio Derby on July 2 when he tops a field of nine sophomores entered for Saturday's $100,000 Round Table Stakes.
Jockey Jesse Campbell, who won the first race of his career at Arlington Park in 1995, scored his 1,000th victory when he guided High Expectations to a six-length tally in the $88,900 Springfield Stakes Saturday during Arlington's Prairie State Festival.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- NYSGC Suspends Jockey Agent Gonzalez for 10 Years
- Trainer Chad Brown Finally Lands His Knockout
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- American Lion Gelding, Overdriven Filly Top OBS Works
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm