Looking fresh as a daisy, California Flag humbled his rivals in the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) with a front-running 2 1/4-length victory on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 21.
California Flag became the first horse to win the Morvich Stakes (gr. IIIT) three times when he took the latest edition of the race by a half-length over Excessive Passion in a furious finish Oct. 10.
Keith Card, former president of the California Thoroughbred Breeders Association and recently inducted into the state's Racing Hall of Fame, died March 8. He was 83.
California Flag, the 2009 BC Turf Sprint winner, attempts to overcome uneven season Nov. 6 at Churchill Downs.
- By Eric Mitchell
- Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region, Kentucky, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners Association names Jerry and Ann Moss the leading owners for 2009. Edward Evans is TOBA's national breeder of the year, and Hi Card Ranch is the top small breeder of the year.
California Flag, winner of the 2009 Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint and third in the 2010 Al Quoz Sprint (UAE-III) in Dubai, is back working for a possible start in the Aug. 1 Bing Crosby Stakes (gr. I) at Del Mar.
Godolphin's Calming Influence took over rounding the turn, opened up a commanding lead in the stretch, and held off Green Coast to win the $1-million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) March 27 in Dubai.
California Flag, a Cal-bred son of Avenue of Flags and the local favorite, claimed a decisive victory in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint. The final time of 1:11.28 was a Breeders' Cup World Championships record. In second was Gotta Have Her, who also had a win at the race distance of 6 1/2 furlongs on the Santa Anita turf.
Favored California Flag led nearly all the way to win the $100,000 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) on opening day of the Oak Tree Racing Association meet at Santa Anita Park Sept. 30, earning a repeat victory in the hillside turf course event over runner-up Get Funky and a berth in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint.
Favored California Flag rebounded from a disappointing effort in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint last month with a front-running romp in the $150,000 Hollywood Turf Express Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 29.
Front-running California Flag drew away in stunning fashion to register a 22-1 surprise in track record time while winning the $112,500 Morvich Handicap (gr. IIIT) over Santa Anita's hillside turf course on opening day of the 40th Oak Tree Racing Association meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment