The return of grade I winner Madcap Escapade will likely come Feb 19 in the $100,000 Shirley Jones Handicap (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park, according to trainer Frank Brothers.
Sid Port's Toasted, who ships in from California, figures to be the slight choice Saturday in the $200,000 Arlington Classic (gr. IIT) at suburban Chicago's Arlington Park.
Country music star Toby Keith's homebred Cactus Ridge has been declared out of the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) due to a knee injury, according to a release from Hawthorne Race Course. Cactus Ridge and trainer Bret Calhoun are based at the Chicago-area track.
Peter Vegso's Orchard Park, a winner in five of six starts this year, may merit favoritism in a well-matched group of seven sophomore grass specialists from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean assembled for Saturday's 26th renewal of the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. I) at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Guest Suite Taking Farish, Howard on Classic Ride
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet