Some 110 horses are entered for the 10 races on the Louisiana Cup race program at Louisiana Downs May 22 when four $100,000 events for state breds are contested.
Offlee Wild was the leading first-crop sire and 2-year-old sire of 2009. A multiple stakes winner, his biggest win came in the 2005 Suburban Handicap (gr. I).
In the tightest race in years, Darley's freshman stallion Offlee Wild honors as the nation's top first-crop sire over Hill 'n' Dale Farm's Roman Ruler.
The race for leading freshman sire in 2009 between Roman Ruler and Offlee Wild will be decided in the colt and gelding division of the Louisiana Futurity Dec. 31 at Fair Grounds.
Six debut winners at Keeneland, a record-setting filly from Maryland and a West Coast invader highlight a field of nine 2-year-olds entered for the $100,000 Kentucky Juvenile Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs April 30.
Grade I winner Offlee Wild sired his first winner from his initial starter when his son Heavenville won April 9 at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass