Acting upon the recommendation of the Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission chief veterinarian Dr. John T. Peters, live racing at Delaware Park has been canceled for July 18 due to excessive heat.
Delaware Park has canceled its June 30 live racing card due to the heat wave that is expected to hit the East Coast this weekend.
Belmont Park canceled racing June 21 as Elmont, N.Y. and the surrounding areas in Nassau County on Long Island came under a heat advisory with temperatures expected to pass 100.
Add Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course in Grantville, Pa., to the list of tracks that have altered schedules due to the extreme heat. The track canceled its July 22 evening program.
The heat wave that has settled in over much of the Midwest resulted in the cancelation of racing at Prairie Meadows on Tuesday, July 19.
Potential record-breaking heat causes NYRA to cancel racing June 9; forecast is for temperatures to drop off dramatically by Saturday's Belmont Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- Special Post Time for Aqueduct on Wood Day
- U.A.E. to Supply Horses for Chinese Race Day
- Concert Added to Black-Eyed Susan Day Lineup
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS