Arqana reported record returns of its annual breeze-up auction May 9 at Saint-Cloud, where sales were led by an Oasis Dream colt who sold to Sheikh Joann's Al Shaqab Racing for €600,000 (US$672,283).
A Canford Cliffs colt was sold for 300,000 guineas ($463,084) to top the April 15 opening day of the Tattersalls Craven breeze-up sale in Newmarket.
An Invincible Spirit colt sold to Nicolas de Watrigant of Mandore International for a record-shattering Arqana breeze-up price of 750,000 Euros ($1,032,119 in United States funds) May 10 at Saint-Cloud.
A filly by Darley sire Exceed And Excel brought a sale record price at the Doncaster Bloodstock Sales breeze-up auction April 24.
Just 24 hours after a High Chaparral colt set a European record for a breeze-up sale, the high water mark was moved again when a 2-year-old War Front colt from Willie Browne's Mocklershill was sold for 1,150,000 guineas.
Went the Day Well, winner of the 2012 Spiral Stakes (gr. III) and fourth after traffic trouble in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), returns March 3 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Day two of Doncaster's St. Leger yearling sale generated a gross of £5,036,500 (approximately $9,281,313), which represented a decline of 17.9% from 2007. The £37,868 average price and £30,000 median price, for the 133 horses sold, fell 4.9% and 4.8%, respectively, Aug. 27. The buy-back rate was 16.4%.
The final lot into the ring, a Danehill Dancer colt out of Promising Lady (by Thunder Gulch), topped Friday's session of Tattersalls' October yearling sale when bought by Grove Stud's Brendan Holland for 40,000 guineas.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga