The Oct. 5 City of Hope Stakes was meant as a trial run for No Jet Lag to see if he belonged in the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT). He aced that test when he finished in 1:31.84, just off the record set last year by Wise Dan.
Making his second start in the U.S., No Jet Lag unleashed a strong turn of foot for a major upset in the Oct. 5 City of Hope Mile (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita Park as 1-2 favorite Obviously gave up the lead to finish fourth.
Summer Applause ground her way to the lead and held off Sea Island in the $150,000 Allaire DuPont Distaff Stakes Presented by Toyota (gr. III) at Pimlico Race Course May 18.
The daughter of Harlan's Holiday got her second career graded stakes win in her second start of the year.
Summer Applause bounced back from a loss in her first start of this year when she rallied to win the $194,000 Rachel Alexandra Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots Feb. 25.
The Keeneland September sale experienced what pinhooker Hoby Kight described as a "feeding frenzy" during its fifth session Sept. 15 in Lexington.
"I've never seen anything like this," said Holly Bandoroff of Denali Stud of a bizarre incident that involved a well-bred dark bay or brown filly, a bald man in a plaid shirt, at least three Fasig-Tipton officials, and several policemen during the second and final session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling sale in New York Aug. 11.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- OBS Yearling Sale Stays Steady on Final Day
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Travers Stakes: High Anxiety
- Violette Undecided on Travers for Upstart
- Making a Case for Transparency
- Illinois Vote Could Impact Thoroughbred Dates
- Keeneland Plans for Sale Activity During BC
- Stellar Wind Tops Torrey Pines Field