In a written decision March 19, hearing officer William Greely has reversed a decision made by Gulfstream Park stewards and has disqualified Green Girl from victory in the Feb. 3 Suwannee River Handicap (gr. IIIT).
An appeal seeking to overturn a stewards ruling that supported the original results of the Suwannee River Handicap (gr. IIIT) will be heard March 19.
The owner of La Dolce Vita has formally appealed the decision of Gulfstream Park stewards not to change the outcome of the Feb. 3 Suwannee River Handicap (gr. III), saying the decision challenges the integrity of horse racing.
After a Feb. 14 hearing, stewards at Gulfstream Park upheld Green Girl's Feb. 3 win.
Under a patient ride from Rene Douglas, Green Girl won Gulfstream Park's Suwanee River Handicap (gr. IIIT) for her first win since July 9, 2006, when the French-bred mare won at Chantilly.
Equivine Farm homebred Redaspen made a bold, rail-skimming move in the final furlong under Eddie Castro, rallying from well off the pace to take the $200,000 La Prevoyante Handicap (gr. IIT) by a length Dec. 15 on the Calder Race Course turf.
Beverly D. Stakes (gr. IT) winner Royal Highness leads a field of eight that is heavily weighted with European contenders in the $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 11 at Aqueduct.
Royal Highness is headed to the breeding shed in Europe, but she has some business to attend to first: The Nov. 3 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Aqueduct.
One month from now, English Channel's connections will be taking dead aim at the elusive $3-million John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) for a third time. But first, owner James Scatuorchio and trainer Todd Pletcher have to get the 5-year-old son of Smart Strike back on the winning track, as they must tackle six challengers in the one-mile Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park Sept. 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Union Rags Colt Goes for $1 Million at OBS