Recent Oaklawn Park arrival J P's Gusto will be the one to beat when he faces 10 fellow 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 21 at the Hot Springs, Ark. track.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day feature pits Grant Jack against six 3-year-olds; race is first leg of Oaklawn's trail to the Triple Crown.
A winter storm dumped about five inches of snow on Hot Springs, Ark., and forced the cancellation of training at Oaklawn Park Jan. 10, but improving conditions should produce temperatures in the 40s by opening day Jan. 14.
Grant Jack, with leading rider Cliff Berry aboard, produced a 14-1 upset in the $250,000 Springboard Mile Stakes on closing night of the 2010 season at Remington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Tapwrit Works Towards Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double
- Well-Placed Illuminant Shines in Monrovia
- Gormley Works for Possible Belmont Start