Recent Oaklawn Park arrival J P's Gusto will be the one to beat when he faces 10 fellow 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 21 at the Hot Springs, Ark. track.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day feature pits Grant Jack against six 3-year-olds; race is first leg of Oaklawn's trail to the Triple Crown.
A winter storm dumped about five inches of snow on Hot Springs, Ark., and forced the cancellation of training at Oaklawn Park Jan. 10, but improving conditions should produce temperatures in the 40s by opening day Jan. 14.
Grant Jack, with leading rider Cliff Berry aboard, produced a 14-1 upset in the $250,000 Springboard Mile Stakes on closing night of the 2010 season at Remington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Monarchos' Greatness Was Cut Way Too Short