Recent Oaklawn Park arrival J P's Gusto will be the one to beat when he faces 10 fellow 3-year-olds in the $250,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 21 at the Hot Springs, Ark. track.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day feature pits Grant Jack against six 3-year-olds; race is first leg of Oaklawn's trail to the Triple Crown.
A winter storm dumped about five inches of snow on Hot Springs, Ark., and forced the cancellation of training at Oaklawn Park Jan. 10, but improving conditions should produce temperatures in the 40s by opening day Jan. 14.
Grant Jack, with leading rider Cliff Berry aboard, produced a 14-1 upset in the $250,000 Springboard Mile Stakes on closing night of the 2010 season at Remington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- Untapable Works Toward Ogden Phipps Stakes
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- KEDRC Makes Cobalt Policy Recommendation
- NBC Sports Commentators on 'Night School'
- NY Begins Weekly Track Information Reports
- 'Win and You're In' Spot for Ordak Dan
- Hard Not to Like Skims Rail, Takes Gamely