The American Graded Stakes Committee of the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association Dec. 4 presented its listing of U.S. graded and listed stakes races for 2016.
Millionaire Kelly's Landing will make his first start in graded company since last October when he faces five older horses in the $125,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Calder Race Course will run its first grade I race in 2006, the Princess Rooney Handicap, one of four races upgraded to grade I status by the American Graded Stakes Committee.
Three grade I winners and six other rivals are scheduled to contest Saturday's $500,000 Massachusetts Handicap (gr. II) at Suffolk Downs.
For the first time in its 54-year history, Belmont's Prioress Stakes will be run Wednesday as a grade I event. Most of the race's seven starters could make the event their first grade I win as Stormy Pick is the only member of that exclusive club slated to race Wednesday.
Richter Scale earned his first grade I win and broke Laurel Park's track record for six furlongs, winning the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash by 1 3/4 lengths Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Rabada Strikes for Second Group I Win in SAf
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Flipcup Resolute in Arlington Matron Win