The Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. spring sale of 2-year-olds in training quickly built up some momentum and finished ahead of last year's pace in several important statistical categories on its opening day in Central Florida.
The daughter of Dixie Union is coming into the race off of four consecutive wins.
Rachel Alexandra will steal all the headlines, but she won't be the only heavily-backed filly Steve Asmussen sends out in a grade I race this weekend at Saratoga. The nation's leading trainer also has Grace Stables' Hot Dixie Chick going in the $300,000 Spinaway (gr. I) on Sept. 6, and the daughter of Dixie Union figures to receive much of the attention at the windows.
Favored Hot Dixie Chick showed she was more than a speed freak in the $111,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. III), rating patiently just off the pace before grabbing the lead and then pulling away to a 6 1/4 length victory July 29, the opening day of the Saratoga meeting in upstate New York.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Puca Works Four Furlongs in Oaks Prep
- Kentucky Derby: Dortmund in the House
- Positive Forecast for Kentucky Derby, Oaks
- Jones Fillies Drill for Kentucky Oaks
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 26, 2015
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- KY Derby: Zayats & Baffert - American Pharoah