The administration of Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley is again trying to resolve a racing dates dispute one horsemen's representative said could "potentially get very ugly."
Joe Bryce, chief legislative officer for the Maryland governor, indicated May 19 discussions held later this year will be of utmost importance to Maryland horse racing.
The Maryland General Assembly April 11 sent a bill that provides millions of dollars to help horse racing to Gov. Martin O'Malley for his signature.
Statistics released by the Maryland Horse Industry Board show the equine industry in the state has assets worth about $5.6 billion, and that Thoroughbreds lead the way by population of breed.
Penn National Gaming Inc. will pay $10.25 million for the shuttered Maryland harness racetrack.
Maryland horse racing needs improved marketing, quality facilities, and better racing, according to a report released Dec. 1 by the Maryland Horse Industry Board.
Maryland voters approved legalizing slot machines Tuesday in a constitutional amendment, paving the way for up to 15,000 machines in five locations and ending years of debate between lawmakers who never managed to pass the measure on their own.
A November 2008 referendum on allowing slot machines in the state was approved by the Maryland Senate the evening of Nov. 8.
The legislative race for slot machines in Maryland hit fever pitch Nov. 2 with rallies in the state capital.
If Maryland's Democratic Gov. Martin O'Malley gets his way with the notoriously restive Maryland legislature this fall, the state's horseracing fans may at long last find slot machines installed at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course.
Another bill to authorize slot machines at Maryland racetracks has been introduced in the House of Delegates.
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt
- Court Gives FL Breeders Right to Challenge Awards Plan