Old Friends at Kentucky Downs has two new Thoroughbred residents who promise to be fan favorites: multiple stakes-winner Good Lord, winner of the 2012 Kentucky Downs Turf Dash, and Monmouth Park's 2014 grade III Iselin winner Balance of Power.
Work All Week was the king of midwest sprinters last year. In the Breeders' Cup, he defeated defending Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Secret Circle and two-time Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) winner Private Zone.
The $100,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) may be the feature worth the most June 1 at Churchill Downs, but a familiar cast of characters makes the $65,000 Opening Verse a more intriguing contest.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Donoharm, winner of the Fifth Season Stakes and Essex Handicap this winter at Oaklawn Park, headlines Lone Star Park's Texas Mile (gr. III) April 27.
Kentucky Downs saw a significant increase in wagering as its brief meet got underway Sept. 8 in Franklin, Ky.
Riley Tucker and Cash Refund figure to be the top two in the $100,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs. The six-furlong stakes is one of three under the lights under the Twin Spires June 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm