Work All Week was the king of midwest sprinters last year. In the Breeders' Cup, he defeated defending Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Secret Circle and two-time Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) winner Private Zone.
The $100,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) may be the feature worth the most June 1 at Churchill Downs, but a familiar cast of characters makes the $65,000 Opening Verse a more intriguing contest.
After racing along the rail in the backstretch, jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. angled Master Rick out in the far turn and the Master Command colt rallied from third in the stretch to win the $200,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III).
Donoharm, winner of the Fifth Season Stakes and Essex Handicap this winter at Oaklawn Park, headlines Lone Star Park's Texas Mile (gr. III) April 27.
Kentucky Downs saw a significant increase in wagering as its brief meet got underway Sept. 8 in Franklin, Ky.
Riley Tucker and Cash Refund figure to be the top two in the $100,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs. The six-furlong stakes is one of three under the lights under the Twin Spires June 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates