Mel Lawson, a member of the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame, died July 27 in Burlington, Ontario.
Jim Dandy Stable's Kesagami led at every call to register his first stakes triumph in Woodbine's CAN$250,000 Coronation Futurity on the Polytrack Nov. 4.
Three-time Canadian champion Eternal Search died late last month at Curraghmore Farm near Waterdown, Ontario, Canada. Owned by Mel Lawson, the 29-year-old mare is by Northern Answer out of the Ruritania mare Bon Debarras.
Canadian champion and classic winner Ginger Gold, who ran second in the Nov. 6 River Memories Stakes at Woodbine in what turned out to be her last start, has been retired from racing.
A sloppy surface was just what the connections of Miss Grindstone ordered, helping the 5-year-old mare capture Sunday's $164,250 Bessarabian Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine, her fourth win in as many starts on an off track.
Inish Glora indulged in a little grandstand gazing in the final strides of the $309,000 Canadian Stakes (Can-II), but all eyes were on the bay when she crossed the wire first in the (about) 1 1/8-mile turf event at the Toronto oval on Sunday.
Stronach Stables' Winning Chance kept her race record perfect this year with a dominating performance at Woodbine in Saturday's featured $189,375 Ontario Matron Stakes, for fillies and mares over 1 1/6 miles.
The post Ginger Gold drew for Sunday's $172,950 George C. Hendrie Stakes at Woodbine doesn't suggest it, but trainer Sid Attard is hoping for a little luck when the champion grey makes her return to racing.
Streakin Rob was named the 4-1 Winterbook favorite for the 143rd running of the Queen's Plate. The 1 1/4-mile Queen's Plate, Canada's most famous horse race and North America's oldest continuously run stakes event, is set for Sunday, June 23 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill