Joseph V. Shields, Jr.'s homebred 4-year-old filly Any Limit, dominant this season at Gulfstream Park, will bid for a sweep of the three major stakes races for her division as the favorite in Saturday's $200,000 Shirley Jones Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Hobeau Farm homebred Swap Fliparoo swept past the leaders on the outside approaching the eighth pole and drew away effortlessly to win the $140,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Charles Wacker III's Irish homebred Oonagh Maccool, one of the leading members of the filly and mare division last winter and spring during an abbreviated campaign for trainer Todd Pletcher, gets back in action Saturday as the horse to beat in the $150,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) going one mile.
California-bred filly Shaggy Mane took command soon after the start of Saturday's $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint at Gulfstream Park and never looked back under jockey Mark Guidry, romping home a 7 3/4-length winner at odds of nearly 9-to-1.
Barry K. Schwartz's Great Intentions skewered Win McCool in a speed duel, then kicked on for four-length victory in the $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares over 6 1/2 furlongs at Belmont Park Sunday.
After breaking through with a strong victory in the Floral Park Handicap (gr. III), the Robert Barbara-trained Win McCool returns to Belmont Park Sunday in the $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
Annika Lass invades from the East Coast as the starting high weight and the likely choice of the public Saturday among a field of 10 entered in the $175,000 Chicago Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIII) for fillies and mares over seven furlongs at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- A Few Early Thoughts on the Kentucky Derby Pace