With five victories from nine starters since April 25, Jamie Ness entered Tampa Bay Downs' May 3 card on one of those mini-hot streaks that have propelled him to the top of the track's trainer standings eight years in a row.
Apprentice jockey David T. Ortiz scored the first win of his professional career on Hebop, who won the eighth race Feb. 26 at Tampa Bay Downs.
Apprentice jockey Austin Solis, 21-year-old son of the great Panamanian rider Alex Solis, broke through with his first career victory in the seventh race Dec. 22 at Tampa Bay Downs.
For the second year in a row, Tampa Bay Downs concluded its meet with a record set for co-mingled all-sources handle.
Gerald Bennett, who 33 years ago won with the first horse he ever saddled at old Greenwood Race Track in Toronto, registered the 3,000th victory of his career Aug. 28 when Shegoestoeleven won in a photo finish in the eighth race at Presque Isle Downs.
Trainer Gerald Bennett scored a rare double victory at Tampa Bay Downs in the featured seventh race Wednesday, an allowance test for older horses. Bennett's entries in the race, Demagoguery and Anglers Reef, finished in a dead heat for the win.
Most Popular Stories
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- 2-Year-Olds Prep for Barretts Del Mar Sale
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- Untapable Works Toward Ogden Phipps Stakes
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- NBC Sports Commentators on 'Night School'
- NY Begins Weekly Track Information Reports
- KEDRC Makes Cobalt Policy Recommendation
- 'Win and You're In' Spot for Ordak Dan