Odds-on choice Georgie Boy turned the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) into a procession at Santa Anita Feb. 21 with a long sustained move from off the pace in the seven-furlong event.
Georgie Boy and jockey Garrett Gomez found room at the rail in the homestretch and stormed past to a convincing 2 1/4-length victory in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Sprint at Santa Anita Jan. 24.
Georgie Boy, a three-time graded stakes winner and Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contender before suffering an injury in late March, has resumed training and is being pointed towards a return to the racetrack in October, his owner-breeder George Schwary said Sept. 19.
Looking for a new favorite for the Derby after the disappointing efforts by 3-year-old stars War Pass and Z Fortune? Why not Georgie Boy? A grade I winner at 2, the favored California-bred son of Tribal Rule used a late burst to pass Gayego in deep stretch and win the $200,000 San Felipe (gr. II) in his first try around two turns March 15 at Santa Anita.
Making his first start in more than five months, grade I winner Georgie Boy kicked off his 3-year-old campaign in fine style with a big closing rush to win the $147,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II).
In an evenly matched field of 2-year-olds, Georgie Boy broke through to turn the tables on his rival Salute the Sarge, winning a blanket finish to the $250,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) on Sept. 5, closing day of the 2007 summer season at the Southern California track.
Georgie Boy, winless in two previous races, broke his maiden in style Wednesday at Del Mar with a decisive triumph under jockey Mike Smith in the featured $140,050 Graduation Stakes for California-bred 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Orb Colt Grew Up, Brought $685,000 at OBS
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Dodd's Tiznow Colt Attracts Attention at OBS
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey