Even-money choice Cambina found room along the inside and closed with authority in the final furlong to win the $150,000 Providencia Stakes (gr. IIT) for her third consecutive win on the Santa Anita turf April 9.
Sierra Sunset seems to be on the verge of returning to his old form, and will take another step in proving that on Aug. 15 when he takes on nine in the $300,000 Longacres Mile (gr. III) at Emerald Downs.
Sierra Sunset, a three-length winner of the $300,000 Rebel (gr. II) March 15 at Oaklawn Park, has a hairline fracture of his left front ankle and is out of consideration for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), trainer Jeff Bonde reported.
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) can be a big temptation for the owner of a promising colt that has not yet proven himself to rank with the best. Some yield; others, usually proving wiser, aim for lesser targets, allowing their youngsters to continue their development under less pressure. The latter strategy paid off nicely when Sierra Sunset picked up his third victory and second straight stakes score in the California Cup Juvenile Nov. 3.
Sierra Sweetie earned her fourth career stakes victory and kept her Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) hopes alive by scoring a 1 3/4-length triumph in the $100,000 California Breeders' Cup Oaks at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass