A colt by Exceed and Excel topped the first day of the Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale in Australia Jan. 6 and helped fuel a 25% increase in gross.
Buyers were particularly discerning on day one of the Magic Millions National yearling sale June 2 as the clearance rate came in at 69%.
The Inglis Australian Easter yearling sale opened is three-day run April 7 topped by a Fastnet Rock filly sold to Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Maktoum for $1.6 million (US$1,223,665).
Dr. Cornel Li's formidable miler Able Friend wore down pacesetter Beauty Flame and notched a second straight group I victory when taking the HK$10 million Stewards' Cup Jan. 25 at Sha Tin.
Colts by Darley sires Street Cry and Exceed And Excel brought the top prices on day two of the Inglis Australian Easter yearling sale in Sydney April 9, each selling for seven figures.
A colt by leading Australian sire Fastnet Rock sold for $1,350,000 (approximately $1,427,155 US) Jan. 10 at Magic Millions, sparking fireworks at the second session of the Gold Coast yearling sale in Queensland.
A Shamardal colt brought Aust$180,000 ($192,798 in U.S. funds) June 5 to top the first session of the Magic Millions national yearling sale on Australia's Gold Coast.
- By Ric Chapman
The American equivalent would have been Bill Shoemaker, or in more recent times Pat Day. That's the sort of lofty esteem that international jockey George Moore was held in. Australia's greatest rider, George "Cotton Fingers" Moore, died Jan. 8.
- By Ric Chapman
Jockey George Moore, who Australians would put in the same category as sports stars Bill Shoemaker and Tiger Woods, died Jan. 8 in a Sydney nursing home. Moore was 84.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Court Ruling Important in Hobby Law Tax Cases
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite