Horseplayers now will know when a racehorse is running for the first time after having been reported as a gelding, it was announced Oct. 2 by Equibase Company president Hank Zeitlin.
Rudy Rodriguez would like to celebrate the 10th anniversary of New York-based gelding Funny Cide winning the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) by sending out New York-based gelding Vyjack to a Derby victory.
Once again, I will be turning the attention of my blog to all things Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) after this week...But first I wanted to bring you this touching story about a sweet gelding named Doctor Decherd. read blog
Ready's Rocket holds the modern-day record for the most wins at Churchill Downs. Read Blog
Gander, the grand old New York-bred gelding, has run his last race. The 8-year-old son of Cormorant suffered a fracture of the short pastern in his front leg while breezing at Saratoga Wednesday morning and is scheduled to fly to Kentucky Thursday morning for surgery.
As Funny Cide continues in his pursuit of the Triple Crown, it is bringing to the fore the question of why some horses are gelded and others are not. Dr. Larry Bramlage, on-call veterinarian for the American Association of Equine Practitioners, sheds light on the subject.
Castration usually rids a horse of unwanted stallion-like behavior, including screaming at and fighting with other horses and potentially aggressive behavior toward humans.
Trainer Carl Nafzger reported Friday that Unshaded came out of his Travers victory with a strained tendon in the left front leg and will undergo surgery at Rood & Riddle Clinic in Lexington, Ky. on Monday.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby