Stuart S. Janney III's homebred Air Support found his best stride late in the Bowling Green Stakes Sept. 8 at Belmont Park, winning his first race of 2012 by a head and perhaps punching his ticket to the Breeders' Cup Turf.
Air Support, coming from the clouds, surged past 20-1 shot Casino Host in deep stretch to capture the $600,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) by a neck over the closing Banned on the turf at Colonial Downs July 16.
Cinque Cento scored an emotional upset success for owner Stuart Ramsey and trainer Peter Moody in the AUS$500,000 Doomben Cup (Aus-I) at Brisbane's oval on May 19.
Most Popular Stories
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- John Henry, Phil Marino, and Early Cajun Days