Signature Red won an exciting head-bobbing finish by a nose over favored Fiddlers Patriot to successfully defend his title in the $203,575 Highlander Stakes (Can-IIT) on the Woodbine turf June 26.
Signature Red, who has come into his own on the turf in his last two starts, held off all challengers for jockey Chantal Sutherland to win the $192,403 Highlander Stakes (Can-IIT) on the Queen's Plate program at Woodbine.
Bob Baffert scratched morning-line favorite Indian Blessing in the $300,000 Ruffian Handicap (gr. I), but still left himself a chance with his other lesser-known entry, Tough Tiz's Sis. The veteran trainer must have known exactly what he was doing, as the daughter of Tiznow enjoyed the sloppy conditions at Belmont Park en route to a dominating 12 1/4 length victory Sept. 6.
Tough Tiz's Sis loves Hollywood Park, synthetic tracks and the 1 1/16-mile distance. So Bob Baffert's 4-year-old filly had much in her favor when she won the $108,500 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III).
Worn down by chasing a fast pace, odds-on choice Tough Tiz's Sis was all out to hold off Nice Inheritance in winning the $112,950 Harry W. Henson Handicap for fillies and mares at New Mexico's Sunland Park March 16.
Odds-on favorite Silver Swallow was perfectly positioned for her powerful late charge but there was no catching Tough Tiz's Sis, who kicked away to an easy 3 1/2-length victory in Sunday's $126,400 Hollywood Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies on the Cushion Track.
Most Popular Stories
- Millionaire Grade I Winner Dads Caps Retired
- Del Mar Critics Speak Out at CHRB Meeting
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- American Dirt Records a Thing of the Past