Trainer Ron Ellis could have something special in Mr Gruff, who sped away from the field en route to a 2 1/4-length repeat victory in the San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course April 17.
Front-running Mr Gruff won his stakes debut in style, turning back a brief challenge in the lane to win the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 18.
Buzzards Bay, whose four graded stakes wins include a triumph in the 2005 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), has been retired from racing.
Gary Broad, owner of recent Californian Stakes (gr. II) winner Buzzards Bay, purchased the Aldabbagh Ranch at auction June 7 for $7.7 million.
Favorite Buzzards Bay, under strong urging from jockey Jose Valdivia Jr., gamely held off the late charging 25-1 shot Sun Boat to win the $250,000 Californian (gr. II) by a nose on the Cushion Track Saturday at Hollywood Park.
On the day of the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), the 2005 winner of that race, Buzzards Bay, continued his comeback story with a romping 6 1/2-length win in the $500,000 Oaklawn Park Handicap (gr. II) Saturday before 29,841 in Hot Springs, Ark.
Looking for his first victory since last year's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), Buzzards Bay kept the pressure on the speedy Trickey Trevor from the outset and then pulled away in the stretch to win the $150,000 All American Handicap (gr. III) Monday at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Gallops, Will Breeze June 1
- Frammento Has Final Drill at Saratoga
- Tale of Verve, Mubtaahij Breeze for Belmont
- Alsvid Takes Aristides Over Work All Week
- Texas Red Works Toward Possible Dwyer Start
- French Navy Sails to Group I Upset in SAf
- Posse to Shuttle to Uruguay
- Evangeline Downs Stakes Taken Off Turf
- Commentary: Permeating Speed is a Problem
- Winx Trounces Rivals in Queensland Oaks