Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. saved the best for last during the select session of its August yearling sale Aug. 25.
Trainer Ron Ellis could have something special in Mr Gruff, who sped away from the field en route to a 2 1/4-length repeat victory in the San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course April 17.
Front-running Mr Gruff won his stakes debut in style, turning back a brief challenge in the lane to win the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 18.
Buzzards Bay, whose four graded stakes wins include a triumph in the 2005 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), has been retired from racing.
- By Tracy Gantz
Gary Broad, owner of recent Californian Stakes (gr. II) winner Buzzards Bay, purchased the Aldabbagh Ranch at auction June 7 for $7.7 million.
Favorite Buzzards Bay, under strong urging from jockey Jose Valdivia Jr., gamely held off the late charging 25-1 shot Sun Boat to win the $250,000 Californian (gr. II) by a nose on the Cushion Track Saturday at Hollywood Park.
On the day of the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), the 2005 winner of that race, Buzzards Bay, continued his comeback story with a romping 6 1/2-length win in the $500,000 Oaklawn Park Handicap (gr. II) Saturday before 29,841 in Hot Springs, Ark.
Looking for his first victory since last year's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), Buzzards Bay kept the pressure on the speedy Trickey Trevor from the outset and then pulled away in the stretch to win the $150,000 All American Handicap (gr. III) Monday at Golden Gate Fields.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector
- Mid-Year Look at the BC Classic
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Welfare and Safety Summit Set for June 28
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another