Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
The 10th and final race at Del Mar Aug. 24 was declared a "no contest" by its stewards when a horse broke through the gate and triggered a chain-reaction effect by many of the other runners in the 12-horse field.
Ross Brinson, who won the Hollywood Gold Cup in 1947 with Cover Up and trained in California for more than 65 years, died in the early morning hours June 13 in Lakewood, Calif. He was 101.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Bernardini Rules Fasig-Tipton Final Session
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Forever Unbridled, Tom's Ready Work for BC
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies