Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
The 10th and final race at Del Mar Aug. 24 was declared a "no contest" by its stewards when a horse broke through the gate and triggered a chain-reaction effect by many of the other runners in the 12-horse field.
Ross Brinson, who won the Hollywood Gold Cup in 1947 with Cover Up and trained in California for more than 65 years, died in the early morning hours June 13 in Lakewood, Calif. He was 101.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Maker Quartet Headlines Fair Grounds 'Cap
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby