Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
The 10th and final race at Del Mar Aug. 24 was declared a "no contest" by its stewards when a horse broke through the gate and triggered a chain-reaction effect by many of the other runners in the 12-horse field.
Ross Brinson, who won the Hollywood Gold Cup in 1947 with Cover Up and trained in California for more than 65 years, died in the early morning hours June 13 in Lakewood, Calif. He was 101.
Most Popular Stories
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Ben's Cat Set for 10-Year-Old Debut
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Nyquist Jogs in Advance of Final Derby Work
- Sherman Seeks California Chrome Stakes Upset
- Mad Flatter Euthanized After Accident
- First Winner for Caleb's Posse at Gulfstream
- Horse Caucus Takes Testimony on Drug Bill
- Espinoza Back for More in Kentucky Derby