Del Mar Thoroughbred Club will kick off its 75th summer racing season July 17 with a new racing secretary and veteran team of other racing officials for the 36-day meet that runs through Sept. 3.
The 10th and final race at Del Mar Aug. 24 was declared a "no contest" by its stewards when a horse broke through the gate and triggered a chain-reaction effect by many of the other runners in the 12-horse field.
Ross Brinson, who won the Hollywood Gold Cup in 1947 with Cover Up and trained in California for more than 65 years, died in the early morning hours June 13 in Lakewood, Calif. He was 101.
Most Popular Stories
- MarketWatch: American Pharoah's Stud Value
- Summer Hit Aimed for All American Three-Peat
- American Pharoah Gallops at Churchill
- Hard Not to Like Seeking CA Score in Gamely
- 16 Remain Engaged for Epsom Derby
- Love Me Only's First Foal a Stakes Winner
- Jockey Taylor Hole Rides 2,000th Winner
- Ostrolenka Appears Poised for Mike Lee Stakes
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- Frosted Continues Working Toward Belmont