New York racing regulators Jan. 20 released a set of proposed sweeping equine drug and recordkeeping rules that arose from the state's investigation into allegations made by PETA against trainer Steve Asmussen in 2013.
Thoroughbred trainers and assistant trainers will now be required to fulfill at least four hours annually of continuing education coursework in order to retain their racing licenses with New York state.
The state Gaming Commission said Jan. 9 it will resume the bidding process to issue the fourth and final immediately available casino license somewhere in the greater Binghampton region of the state.
New York racing regulators raised the prospects of imposing new transparency standards on stewards, including possibly publicly releasing videos that are used by officials in decisions affecting the outcome of a race.
New York's agency that regulates the racing, casino, and lottery industries had his nomination sail through the state Senate March 4, which paves the way for the formal appointment of a siting panel to recommend new casinos.
The New York state Senate next week is poised to confirm Gov. Andrew Cuomo's choice for the new head of the state Gaming Commission, the powerful regulatory agency that oversees racetrack and casino operations.
Racing regulators in New York Aug. 1 made permanent a set of equine safety rules and conditionally approved two new wagers requested by the New York Racing Association, which is now a state-run entity.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to dip into purse accounts to take $1.5 million to $2 million per year for equine safety programs at the state's racetracks.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago