The 83rd running of the Kentucky Derby, however, is itself, a subplot in a much larger story, one that was revealed in the research for this BH 100 moment.
Images honoring the Hall of Fame trainer and industry leader View Slideshow
John Nerud, who turns 102 on Feb. 9, sends out homebred to break maiden at Big A
John Nerud managed at least part of the racing or breeding careers of several important sires, as well as breeding and racing two more in his own right.
Triple Crown winners during the 'Golden Age' all began their 3-year-old campaigns in sprints.
No award given to John Nerud could be more appropriately named than the Award of Merit.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago