The 83rd running of the Kentucky Derby, however, is itself, a subplot in a much larger story, one that was revealed in the research for this BH 100 moment.
Images honoring the Hall of Fame trainer and industry leader View Slideshow
John Nerud, who turns 102 on Feb. 9, sends out homebred to break maiden at Big A
John Nerud managed at least part of the racing or breeding careers of several important sires, as well as breeding and racing two more in his own right.
Triple Crown winners during the 'Golden Age' all began their 3-year-old campaigns in sprints.
No award given to John Nerud could be more appropriately named than the Award of Merit.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California