The 83rd running of the Kentucky Derby, however, is itself, a subplot in a much larger story, one that was revealed in the research for this BH 100 moment.
Images honoring the Hall of Fame trainer and industry leader View Slideshow
John Nerud, who turns 102 on Feb. 9, sends out homebred to break maiden at Big A
John Nerud managed at least part of the racing or breeding careers of several important sires, as well as breeding and racing two more in his own right.
Triple Crown winners during the 'Golden Age' all began their 3-year-old campaigns in sprints.
No award given to John Nerud could be more appropriately named than the Award of Merit.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection