Mark Russell's popular 8-year-old gelding Russell Road, who hadn't won since May, turned the tables on heavy favorite Lucy's Bob Boy to win the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 18 for the third time in his career.
The winners of the last three editions of the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes will square off the evening of Oct. 18 when Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races hosts the feature and eight other state-bred stakes.
Fred High, making his third attempt in the rich West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes, upended previous winners Russell Road and Lucy's Bob Boy to post a mild upset at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Oct. 19.
Lucy's Bob Boy looks to defend his crown on the night of Oct. 19 as he takes his spot in a full gate of 10 horses for the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic, headline event at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
Lucy's Bob Boy didn't give the bridge-jumpers a scare when he took the early lead and coasted in workout-like fashion to win the $50,000 Confucius Say Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races April 20.
Russell Road will try to overcome a two-month layoff as he aims for his third victory in the West Virginia Breeders' Classic as the 2-1 morning line favorite on the night of Oct. 20 at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
A full field of 10, including past race winners Sea Rescue, Russell Road, and Ghostly Thunder, are set for the featured $500,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 15 at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
California invaders Prayer for Relief and Dreamy Kid, both recent graded stakes winners, headline a field of 10 in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. II) Aug. 6 at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double