Five Iron shot to a 19-1 upset in the $150,000 Fort Marcy Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park when favored Ghurair failed to fire in his United States debut in one of two graded stakes on the turf on the Derby day card May 3.
Fred Allor's homebred Five Iron scored a third straight front-running victory Sept. 1, this time nailing down the first graded stakes win of his career in the $150,000 Saranac Stakes (gr. III) at Saratoga Race Course.
Five Iron took command out of the gate and would not be denied a front-running victory by 1 1/4 lengths in the $150,709 Victoria Park Stakes for 3-year-olds June 16 at Woodbine.
Three horses commanded six-figure prices during the first hour of the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed auction Feb. 6 in Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Ben's Cat Set for 10-Year-Old Debut
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Nyquist Jogs in Advance of Final Derby Work
- Sherman Seeks California Chrome Stakes Upset
- Mad Flatter Euthanized After Accident
- First Winner for Caleb's Posse at Gulfstream
- Horse Caucus Takes Testimony on Drug Bill