Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse industry leader Frank "Scoop" Vessels died in a plane crash Aug. 11 near Burns, Ore.
Two-year-old racing got under way at Santa Anita March 23, and it was Storming Hun, a daughter of Devon Lane, who got to the finish first.
Smokester, sire of California champion Free House, died Feb. 21 while breeding at the Sahadi family's Cardiff Stud Farms near Atascadero, Calif.
Jackpot, who won this year's Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II), has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Frank "Scoop" Vessels' Vessels Stallion Farm near Bonsall, Calif.
Momentum, a California graded stakes winner for J. Paul Reddam, will begin his stallion career at Frank Vessels' Vessels Stallion Farm near Bonsall, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Court Ruling Important in Hobby Law Tax Cases
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite